We all need to be heard. Sometimes this need to be heard prevents us from hearing those we care for most. TalkInTurn implements the proven Speaker/Listener technique to improve our ability to hear others and our ability to be heard.
Works on: iPhone 3G and later, all iPads
Requires: iOS 4.0 or later
TalkInTurn uses your iOS device as a token to help people take turns talking and to take turns listening. If you have the device, you have the floor.
You take on one of two roles. You are either the Speaker or the Listener. Speakers lead the conversation when they have the floor. When Listeners have the floor, they paraphrase what the speaker said.
After a while the Speaker and Listener swap roles so that each gets to be heard. TalkInTurn tracks the time to ensure each party gets their fair time in each role.
You can even flip a coin to see which of you speaks first.
TalkInTurn also provides helpful tips to aid in the communication and help avoid destructive manners of speech.
Get tips to ...
- Keep your listener listening
- Be insightful not inciteful
- Know your message is getting through
- Finally be heard
Get tips to ...
- Focus on their message
- Be free from the urge to interrupt
- Know that your turn as speaker will come
- Finally understand them
- The pass button also shows how much longer you have the floor.
- The progress bar under the pass button shows how long until you swap roles.
- You can pass to the other party at anytime by tapping the Pass button.
- To swap roles early (before the progress bar reaches the end) or to begin a new discussion, tap 'New' at anytime.
- Tap the "i" in the upper left corner to access the settings at any time.
- The time between swapping roles is automically adjusted to ensure the speaker and listener get at least the time indicated on their respective settings before swapping roles
- One clock chime indicates it is time to pass the token (iOS device) to the other person
- A double clock chime means it is time to swap roles. The listener should finish paraphrasing and then act as the speaker.
- The clock chimes were not part of the original version. Please tap on the 'Free' button at the top of the screen to get the latest version. If you have your iOS silenced the device will vibrate instead of chime.